A key theme of the 2013 MOR IT Leaders Conference was that we are entering a time when disruptive change is the norm. Given that change will happen whether one participates or not, those who actively resist it will hinder their organizations’ progress and imperil their careers. For the conference participants, the message was clear: It is time to focus on the big picture and be sure that you and your unit are doing the right things for the future of the University and its students. It is time to develop the individual skills you need to ensure success for you and your university.
The conference covered a lot of ground. Key lessons for the participants included:
- Understand your strengths and the strengths of others. Learn how to work with different personalities. Soft skills and collaboration are now crucial to success.
- Stay informed of the forces and trends that are changing the landscape of higher education and participate in helping your institution stay relevant.
- Be intentional about creating and maintaining relationships within and across institutions. Share and gain knowledge and skills. Coach. Be coached. Collaborate and cooperate your way to success.
- Be open to new ideas and solutions. Discuss rather than judge. Be creative in your problem solving.
- Make sure you have the right people in the right roles with the right skills at the right time at the right cost.
- Be an active participant in developing the leadership community at your university.
- Take care of yourself. Practice mindfulness and reflection. Align with yourself, align with others, and align with the strategy.